I made this mega-tutorial with newbies in mind, but a lot of the references are things that I use every time I build a track, and should be part of any track makers tool set.
Most of the material here is cross-compatible with rFactor 2, and the non-rfactor stuff could be used for building tracks on any platform.
This tutorial is divided into four sections; the first explains the different file types and describes of how to use them. The second section goes into detail about how to find solid info on a given track. The third is a compilation of several track making guides. And finally, I included guides on the nitty-gritty stuff to improve track quality.
This was originally available as a wiki, and has been rewritten for offline use. It’s meant to be a complete compilation of as many useful references as possible into one convenient, easy to use document.
• Written and edited (mainly) by Ewan “Uzzi” Chalker
• Some sections are from the ISI track making guide, others were copied off the old Race Sim Central message boards, and noted as such.
Changes for V2.6
• Converted the tutorial to PDF
• Added a table of contents
• Extensively edited and formatted the tutorial as a whole.
• Added new track technique tutorials, written by the folks at the old RSC, that I backup up before it was lost; I’ve also uploaded the original threads the here http://www.filefront.com/17845526/Track-tuts-RSC.zip/
• Alternative method to lofting, by Steve_w05
• Classroom Track Editing with Cyrus
• Path Deformation, by Undoz
• Top Track Creation Tips, by The Lonely's
• and high elevation skyboxes, By Neil Faichney (Krunch)
• All links to Race Sim Central are in the process of being replaced, deleted or are permanently lost. Most of my stuff is safe and being uploaded elsewhere.